In the framework of the state’s commitment to provide health services and medicine to all citizens, especially the unprivileged categories, the health sector has made major achievements in this respect.
First: Health Care
The State works on ensuring that all citizens get equal access to the integrated health care services. Accordingly, this section includes data on the following subjects:
(1) Medical Services are provided by medical units affiliated to the Ministry of Health, authorities, other ministries and the private sector. These data is tabulated according to the number of hospitals, medical units, beds and pharmacies in each governorate.
(2) Production from vital drugs and vaccines.
(3) Treatment of citizens inside& outside Egypt, at the gov. expense.
(4) No. of physicians, pharmacists and nursing staff belonging to the Ministry of Health. ln addition to No. of Employees working at the Ministry of Health.
Investments in Health Service Sector:
Investments implemented in the health service field during (2004/05) reached approx. LE 2.4 billion, of which LE1.7 billion were implemented by the government and economic agencies accounting for 70.8 percent of total investments allocated for this program. Investments allocated for health care (2005/06) hit LE 2.5 billion.
Egypt spends 3.7 percent of its gross domestic product on health including treatment costs 22 percent incurred by citizens and the rest by the state.
Health Services Indicators in 2002/03:
- Number of public and central hospitals mounted to 387.
- Number of rural hospitals mounted to 1192.
- Number of beds at the Ministry of Health hospitals mounted to 170,000.
- Vaccination coverage for children aged 12 months reached 98 percent.
Expenditure on Health
- Wireless coverage of emergency and intensive care units were extended to 27 governments.
- Number of basic care health units mounted to 4680 comprising health offices and integrated hospitals.
- A national blood transfusion center has been established and is now operating in Cairo, in addition to seven regional centers in governorates.
- Thirty blood transfusion centers have already been revamped and outfitted countrywide, while the upgrading of 16 other centres is underway.
- Fifty outfitted blood donation and distribution vehicles to governorates have been provided.
- Number of physicians mounted to 145,000 of whom 58,829 are MOH-registered.
- Number of dentists mounted to 18,200 of whom 7.631 are MOH-registered.
- Number of pharmacists mounted to 37,500 of whom 4,345 are MOH-registered.
- Number of nursing staff reached 176,000 of whom 93,931 are MOH –registered.
Targeted Achievements for the 2003/04 Plan
Number of public and central hospitals
Number of rural hospitals
Number of rural health units
Number of beds
The state is keen on extending health insurance coverage to include non-insured new categories. The total number of the insured beneficiaries reached 37.300 million, of which about 27.92 million under laws and a number of 11.208 million insured child under ministerial decrees, showing an insurance coverage of about 51.6 percent of Egypt’s population.
State-financed Medical Treatment:
- Number of decrees issued in 2005 providing for state-financed medical treatment rose at an average of 5 percent compared to 2004, with 1.397 million cases treated during 2005 against 1.386 million in 2004.
- A number of 5,000 state-financed medical treatment decrees are issued daily.
- State-financed medical treatment expenses mounted to LE 1,568 billion during 2005 against LE 1,567 billion in 2004