Built by Mamluke Sultan Abdul-Nasser Qa'it Bay in 1477 AD but razed and reconstructed twice since. This citadel was built in 1480 by Sultan Qaitbay on the site of the Pharos Lighthouse, to protect the city from the crusaders who used to attack the city by sea. The Citadel is situated at the entrance of the eastern harbour on the eastern point of the Pharos Island.
Alexandria Opera House
The Alexandria Opera House was constructed in 1918 during the reign of Sultan Fouad I and named “Mohamed Ali Theatre”.
A huge modern library and research centre, it is constructed on the site of the former Library of Alexandria. It has also a big conference centre and a planetarium, as well as displays of ancient texts and other special exhibitions.
Catacombs of Kom el Shoqafa
The catacombs stand on the site where the village and fishing port of Rhakotis, the oldest part of Alexandria that predates Alexander the Great, was located. The underground tunnels of the catacombs lie in the densely populated district of Karmouz to the east of Alexandria.
The Alexandria Aquarium was built in 1930 and is located in the vicinity of the Qaitbay Fort on Alexandria's Eastern Harbour.
Alexandria National Museum
A history Museum with more than 1800 archaeological pieces exhibited chronologically: the basement is devoted to Prehistoric and Pharaonic times; first floor to the Greco-Roman period; second floor to the Coptic and Islamic era that highlights artefacts raised during recent underwater excavations.
Monastery of Saint Mina
The Monastery of Saint Mina is located in the Western Desert near Alexandria.
An ancient monument, this 25-meter-high granite column was constructed in honour of the Emperor Diocletian in AD 297. The confined area where the column stands also has other ruins and sculptures such as the Serapium oracle.
Sunken Cities of Abu Qir
Northwest of Alexandria lies the site of Abu-Qir, where archaeologists have been exploring the sunken cities of Heracleion and Canopus since 1992.
Built in the 2nd century AD, this Roman amphitheatre has 13 semi-circular tiers made of white and grey marble, with marble seats for up to 800 spectators, galleries and sections of mosaic-flooring.
Saint Mark's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral
St. Mark's Coptic Cathedral in Alexandria is the seat of the Pope of Alexandria, the head of the Coptic Orthodox Church. The cathedral is said to stand on the site of the church founded by St. Mark the Evangelist in 60 AD.
Eliyahu Hanavi Synagogue
The Eliyahu Hanavi Synagogue is located in Nabi Daniel Street. Built in 1354, it was bombed by the French during their invasion of Egypt in 1798, and was re-built in 1850 with contributions from the Muhammad Ali Dynasty.
Constantine Cavafy, born in 1863, was a Greek poet who lived in Alexandria most of his life.