FM: Sisi, Trump agreed on resuming Egyptian-US strategic dialogue
Tuesday، 04 April 2017 - 01:32 PM
Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry said on Monday 3/4/2017 that President Abdel Fattah El Sisi and his US counterpart Donald Trump agreed on resuming the Egyptian-US strategic dialogue.
In statements to the Egyptian Extra News television, Shoukry said the two presidents were also keen on activating bilateral cooperation and mutual understanding of the challenges faced by both countries.
Shoukry highlighted the importance of the expanded round of talks between the two presidents, saying talks reflected Trump’s keenness on supporting Egypt at the political, economic and security levels at the current stage and his appreciation of Egypt’s terrorism-combat efforts.
Trump was also interested in President Sisi’s initiative to renew religious dialogue as well as Egypt's economic reforms program, the top diplomat said.
The technical, economic and security apparatuses in both countries will work on activating strategic dialogue and will refer their recommendations to the two presidents for approval and for laying down executive mechanisms, Shoukry said.
Trump voiced his desire to visit Egypt and Sisi re-invited him to visit Egypt, Shoukry said.
As for the Palestinian cause, referred to by Sisi as the "problem of the century," President Sisi reviewed Cairo’s viewpoint regarding the two-state solution, citing Egypt’s own experience in stabilizing peace, Shoukry said.
As for Libya, the foreign minister said Sisi reviewed Egypt’s vision for a roadmap that would enable Egypt to deal with the political crisis in Libya, noting that the plan was approved earlier in the day by the Egyptian House of Representatives.
Talks also addressed the developments in Syria and Egypt’s readiness to help, being a party that had never been involved in the war there, Shoukry concluded.