20 September 2018 03:20 AM

Miho cemetery open to public for first time since its discovery

Saturday، 08 September 2018 - 03:23 PM

Minister of Antiquities Khaled el Anani inaugurated on Saturday 08/09/2018 Miho cemetery in Giza’s Saqqara necropolis, allowing people to visit it for the first time since its discovery in 1940.

During the inauguration ceremony attended by archaeologist Zahi Hawass, Anani thanked the Brazilian ambassador in Cairo for taking part in the event and for his cooperation with the Egyptian side with regard to the Egyptian artifacts displayed at Brazil's National Museum that burnt down last week.

Meanwhile, Hawass said opening the cemetery to the public will contribute to boosting tourism to Egypt.

Secretary-General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities Mostafa Waziri said the cemetery had been discovered by Egypt's Zaki Saeed in 1940.

The cemetery of Miho, who had been a judge and a minister during the 6th Dynasty, consists of four decorated rooms with a large courtyard.

During the ceremony, Anani revealed that the project of renovating the Djoser Pyramid will be finalized in early 2019.

Following the opening ceremony, the antiquities minister, the secretary-general of the Supreme Council of Antiquities and a raft of foreign ambassador will take a tour of the southern cemetery of the Djoser Pyramid in order to get acquainted with work progress.

MENA

Related Stories

Most Visited

From To