Egypt and the Democratic Path
Tuesday، 27 August 2013 - 12:00 AM
Finally on June 30, 2013, the people rose in their millions calling for the ousting of the President. The Army, unable to disregard Egyptians' call for its national role, supported their decision and developed a roadmap, which was presented by the General Commander of the Armed Forces Abdeulfattah AlSisi, in the presence of political and party representatives and of the Grand Imam of AlAzhar and of the Head of the Coptic Church.
The road map includes the following:
- The temporary suspension of the current constitution.
- Empowering the head of Egypt's High Constitutional Court (HCC) to run the country until a new president is elected via early presidential polls.
- Forming a new technocratic government and asking the HCC to hasten the passing of a parliamentary elections law, currently being reviewed by the HCC, to allow for parliamentary elections.
- Forming a committee to amend controversial articles of the temporarily suspended constitution.
- Laying down a media code of ethics to guarantee the media's professionalism.
- Forming a committee to foster "national reconciliation."
- Taking immediate steps to include youth in decision making circles.