Monday، 01 February 2016 12:00 AM
Uruguayan exports to Egypt fell from 47.6 million in 2007 to 31.3 million in 2008 to raise again to 47.7 million in 2009 and to be 9 million in the first semester of 2010.
Egyptian exports to Uruguay increased from 5.7 million in 2007 to 10.7 million in 2008 and 15.5 million in 2009 and 900 thousand dollars in the first semester of the year 2010.
The balance of trade, which was in favor of Uruguay, went down from 41.1 million in 2007 to 20 million in 2008 to rise again to 32 million in 2009.
The main Uruguayan exports to Egypt were dairy products, live cattle, frozen beef, meat and bone meal, soybeans, frozen fish, veterinary equipment and products. Whereas, the main Egyptian exports to Uruguay were agricultural produce, electric boilers, carpets, herbs, spices, fabrics and textiles.
- In November 1959, a cultural agreement was signed in Cairo and went into force in August 1964.
- In May 1977, Commercial Agreement was signed in Montevideo and went into force in 1979.
- In May 1982, Protocol on Tourist cooperation was signed.
- In August 1983, Agreement for the exchange of notes concerning the regime of franchises concerning the importation and transfer of cars between both states by diplomats was signed.
- In February 1986, Agreement for the exchange of notes on the exemption of visa on the diplomatic, special and service passports was signed.
- In January 1987, a protocol establishing the rules for the implementation of the Uruguayan-Egyptian mixed Committee, stipulated by article XI of the commercial agreement, was signed.
- In April 1990, Protocol of Cooperation between the Artigas Institute for Foreign Service of Uruguay and the Institute for Diplomatic Studies of Egypt was signed.
- In June 1990, Agreement on Technical, Economic and Financial cooperation went into force in July 1992.
- In July 1995, Memorandum of cooperation between the Ministries of Foreign Affairs of Uruguay and Egypt was signed.
- In August 1999, a Memorandum of Understanding between the Uruguayan and the Egyptian Ministries of Economy for the Promotion and Reciprocal Protection of Investments was signed.
- Since 1988, Egypt has been offering Uruguay, through the Egyptian International Center for Agriculture, training scholarships in the agricultural field.