The New Suez Canal
Vessel Traffic Management System
Wednesday، 29 July 2015 12:00 AM
The Suez Canal has upgraded its Vessel Traffic Management System (VTMS) in order to keep up with the latest technological developments. The system provides complete surveillance and tracking by radar coverage of vessels throughout the Canal and its approaches at Port Said and Suez anchorage area, The VTMS provides the following services:
- 1. Automatic surveillance and tracking of vessel arriving at SC approaches (15 miles faraway) until anchorage in the waiting areas.
- 2. Automatic determination of arrival times at ports.
- 3. Continuous Automatic tracking and monitoring of vessel's position, speed and separation distances for all vessels transiting the SC.
- 4. Providing the SCA Port management control centers at Port Said and Port Taufiq as well as Ismailia main management control office, with sufficient instantaneous information about vessels transiting the Canal, by means of displaying complete televised radar pictures of the whole Canal and very powerful informatics system.
- 5. Providing automatic display system for pilots at all signal station (signal state board) which displays his arrival time (passage), meteorological data, and emergency information.
- 6. Providing integral database for vessel information, transit regulations, traffic flow transit pattern, pilot assignment, vessel billing and navigation reports.
- Providing an efficient and quick means of communication with vessels arriving at ports and with pilots on board vessels transiting the Canal.
7. Providing an efficient and quick means of communication with vessels arriving at ports and with pilots on board vessels transiting the Canal.