Ministry of Health: Egypt is coronavirus-free after recovery of foreigner case
Friday، 28 February 2020 - 11:17 AM
The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organization (WHO) on Thursday announced the recovery of the only case of a foreigner who was found to be carrying the coronavirus in Egypt, so the country has become free of COVID-19.
Spokesman for the Health Ministry Khaled Megahed said in a statement on Thursday that the foreigner was discharged from the quarantine hospital after being tested negative following undergoing all necessary periodic tests.
The foreigner spent 14 days in the quarantine hospital, where he received perfect treatment and health care.
Upon his discharge, he was received by members of a delegation from the embassy of his country, who praised excellent medical care for the foreigner in light of precautionary procedures taken by Egypt to overcome the spread of coronavirus.
Meanwhile, John Jabbour, WHO Representative in Egypt, praised the precautionary measures taken by Egypt and its success in presenting medication to the foreigner till he is fully recovered, asserting that Egypt has become free from any COVID-19 cases.
Earlier on Thursday, Minister of Health Hala Zayed held a meeting with leaderships of the ministry to follow up precautionary measures taken to prevent the outbreak of the novel coronavirus in Egypt and lauded the steps adopted nationwide on that score.
Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouli said on Thursday that Egypt is keen to take precautionary measures to combat novel coronavirus in light of the cases confirmed in some neighboring countries.
The prime minister made the remarks during a meeting he chaired, which brought together the Minister of Health, Minister of Tourism and Antiquities Khaled el Anani, Minister of Supply and Internal Trade Ali Moselhi, Minister of Civil Aviation Mohamed Manar Enaba, along with several senior officials.
The premier noted that the state has tightened preventive measures and medical checkups at airports and seaports for people arriving from all countries.
The cabinet took a decision yesterday that allows the swift purchase and supply of necessary requirements to take precautionary measures in relation to the virus, he added.
Coordination is underway between all parties concerned as per the state’s plan to counter coronavirus, Madbouli said, noting that daily coordination is conducted with the World Health Organization to apply its instructions in this regard.
The WHO’s reports confirm that Egypt is free of coronavirus, the premier said, stressing that the state will not hide anything on that score and that it deals with this file in full transparency.