Foreign Ministry closely follows up developments of hijacking Egyptians off Nigerian coasts
Friday، 04 December 2020 - 10:15 AM
The Foreign Ministry asserted that it is closely following up developments in the incident of piracy against a cargo ship off the Nigerian coast with Egyptian nationals on board.
In a statement on Thursday 03/12/2020, Assistant Foreign Minister for Consular Affairs Ambassador Amr Mahmoud Abbas said the consular sector at the ministry has been contacting the families of the kidnapped to brief them on efforts exerted to set them free.
Two Egyptian citizens, an officer and an engineer were kidnapped, along with other people of different nationalities while on board of the cargo ship.
The staff members of the Egyptian embassy in Abuja contacted with the owner of the shipping company, who stated that he received a phone call from the hijackers Wednesday morning. The owner was allowed to speak with the kidnapped people, assuring that they are in good health.
Previously, the Egyptian Foreign Ministry said it ordered its embassy in Abuja to coordinate with the Nigerian authorities to ensure that Egyptians kidnapped by pirates off Nigerian shores are immediately released.