Monday، 20 July 2009 - 12:00 AM
Mahshi is a loved dish by all Egyptian families. It is also one of the most important side dishes in dinner gatherings. It may take time to prepare but yet it is easy to make.
1/4 kg Long Eggplant,black
1/4 kg Long Eggplant,white
2 Onions,medium size, finely chopped
1/4 kg Minced Meat
2 Chicken Stock Cubes
1/2 kg Green Pepper
1 cup Parsley,finely chopped
2 tbsp Tomato Paste
1/2 kg Zucchini,medium size
2 tbsp Margarine
1/2 cup Coriander, finely chopped
2 cups Rice
Salt and Pepper
1 tsp Mint,dried and ground
1/2 kg Tomatoes,medium size, hard
1. Preparing vegetables and stuffing:
-In a large bowl mix minced meat, parsley, coriander, onion, mint, margarine, salt and pepper.
- Wash rice well, drain and add to bowl. Stir to mix all ingredients well. Taste to adjust seasoning.
- Wash tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant and peppers and cut their tops.
- Remove the insides of vegetables by holding the vegetable in your hand and pressing the tip of a sharp knife into the center of vegetables till close to the end. Make continuous circles with the knife to remove the insides of vegetables. Don’t make vegetables crust too thin so that it doesn’t crack during cooking.
2. Stuffing and cooking vegetables:
-Put 1-2 tbsp of stuffing into each vegetable using your fingers. Press on stuffing in the vegetable with your small finger so that stuffing is firm inside vegetable. Don’t fill the whole vegetable with stuffing to give space for rice to expand during cooking.
-In a large deep non-stick pan, arrange stuffed vegetables in a standing position with their tops facing upwards.
- Dissolve stock cubes and tomato paste in 2 cups warm water and add to vegetables. Add more warm water to pan until it covers ¾ of vegetables.
- Cook over medium heat for 40-45 minutes or until rice and vegetables are done. You can add 1/2 cup boiling water if needed.
- Arrange stuffed vegetables in a serving platter in a nice shape. Serve hot.